Re: [squid-users] How to override expires, maxage, s-maxage on reverse proxy?

From: David Lawson <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:14:55 -0400

On Jul 29, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Michael Pye wrote:

> Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>>> latest version. But I'm not sure I should do this via s-maxage
>>> in the
>>> response as this setting might also apply to other proxies
>>> upstream of
>>> me.
>
> If you want other caches to take note of the cache-control max age
> headers, but you want your cache to cache for longer then set a
> minimum
> expiry time in a refresh_pattern for your site. I believe the minimum
> expiry time will override the cache-control header.

IIRC, refresh patterns are only applicable to objects that don't
return enough information in the headers to determine the freshness
or staleness of an object, i.e. they don't have a LastModified and a
max-age or expires header. So an object with those headers set
wouldn't be affected by a refresh pattern. You can use the override
expires option in the refresh pattern to change that behavior. I may
be wrong, please correct me if I am.

--Dave Lawson
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.