Re: [squid-users] Detecting and blocking child proxy servers

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:59:48 +0545

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On mån, 2007-07-30 at 23:55 +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>
>> I have applied your techniques you describe above. I still have problems
>> detecting my child proxies. In a layman view, how to I see them in the
>> first place.
>
> If you are lucky the child proxies add X-Forwarded-For or Via headers,
> which you can detect using the req_header acl.
>
> But many such proxies do not want to be found (and it's trivial to hide
> these using Squid), and you then have to use statistics based on the
> access patterns to guess when there is more than one user on the same
> client IP.

Hi Henrik,

Pardon me on this but how do I actually use the req_header ACL type? I
am little confused with it's syntax.

For example, let's suppose those who are operating child proxies are
naive and their child proxies do add the X-Forwarded-For headers in the
following scenario:

192.168.0.0/24 are my proxies

192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.3.0/24 are my normal customers

Now my smart customers using child proxies can be from anywhere between
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.3.254.

How do I detect and stop them from operating child proxies.

I would really appreciate your help on this matter.

This issue has been bugging me for some time now!

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,