[squid-users] Slow connection through proxy

From: Julian Pilfold-Bagwell <jpb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 23:23:26 +0100

Hi All,

I have a problem with my proxy and Windows clients on certain ip ranges
on my network.

I've just upgraded my network from a single LDAP/Samba server running on
Mandriva 2007 to a dual redundant setup with DNS, NTP and LDAP
master/slave on two servers with a seperate PDC and BDC pair
authenticating and providing file shares. Authentication on the network
for users is fast as lightning. On the old network I had a Mandriva 2007
box with Squid proxying and NTLM auth and this machine has been moved to
the new setup. Clients are spread across three IP ranges 172.20.0.,
172.20.1. and 172.20.2. with the 0 range being assigned static IPs and
the one and two ranges collecting an IP from DHCPD.

If I connect a client to the network, it obtains an address from the
DHCP server along with DNS, gateway and WINS server settings but the
connection via Squid is slow e.g. 30-120 seconds to obtain a page. If I
take the settings from ipconfig and enter them manually but with an IP
in the 172.20.0 range, it works perfectly with pages appearing withing
1-2 seconds.

nslookup returns IP's within a second on the proxy and clients and
su'ing to a user account on the proxy takes a split second, suggesting
that nss and pam_smb are authenticating OK.

On the old network, the proxy worked fine across al three IP ranges, on
the new it behaves as above. Is there anywhere I should be looking in
particular for clues to this one. I'll be out of the office until Monday
but I'll check the mail as soon as I can for a reply.

Many thanks,

Julian PB