[squid-users] Re: Fwd: username and password in TRANSPARENT mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 15:04:17 +0200

On mån, 2007-08-06 at 15:19 +0530, Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

> Then, I configured SQUID in TRANSPARENT mode. Then, I lost the user
> name and password feature. Is it NORMAL in TRANSPARENT mode?

This is a FAQ, and is also written in bold in the squid.conf comments.

Why do you expect browsers to be willing to perform proxy authentication
to what it thinks is the origin web server?

To use proxy authentication the browser MUST be configured to use a
proxy, one way or another. For ease of configuration look into WPAD.