Re: [squid-users] Using squid to cache a video file

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:35:22 +1200 (NZST)

> On 8/8/07, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > i have a servlet which returns content of a video file:
>> > like this:
>> > http://127.0.0.1:8080/videoServlet?id=1
>> > http://127.0.0.1:8080/videoServlet?id=2
>> >
>> > I hit that servlet thru squid as the proxy.
>> > I do this to query if squid does cache the video file:
>> >
>> > ./squidclient -H "Cache-Control: only-if-cached\n"
>> > "http://127.0.0.1:8080/videoServlet?id=1"
>> >
>> <snip>
>> >
>> > Can you please tell me why squid can't cache a video file?
>>
>> Firstly,
>> Check the webserver is providing the proper Cache-Control, and/or
>> Expires
>> headers that allow caching.
>>

> Thank you. In the servlet, it sets the content type:
>
> response.setContentType("video/mp4");
>
> and content length and cache control:
> response.setHeader("Content-Length", Long.toString(length) );
> response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "max-age=3600");
>
> Is that enough?

I think it should be enough to cache for 1 hour.
You can check whether they are making it out of the servlet to the general
web by testing it with the cachability engine.
http://www.ircache.net/ (under Tools->Cachability checker)

The ACLs I also mentioned may be important as they override the headers.