Re: [squid-users] What is the most data anyone has cached with squid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:41:28 +0200

On tor, 2007-08-02 at 20:20 -0400, Mark Vickers wrote:
> I was thinking of building several boxes with between 10TB and 20TB of
> SATA drives, for some squid caches.

You will require quite a bit of memory to use all of that for cache.
Rule of thumb: 10 MB of memory per GB of cache.

> Has any used squid to cache that much data?
>
> Any idea what the upper limit is? The practical limit?

The memory usage quite quickly puts an upper limit on the cache size.

To go above about 3GB of memory for Squid (per instance) you also need a
64-bit server, as 32-bit servers can't support very big processes due to
their 32-bit limitation..