Re: [squid-users] File Descriptors causing an issue in OpenBSD

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:58:15 +0200

On tor, 2007-08-09 at 17:00 +0530, Preetish wrote:
> Hi Everybody
>
> I have recompiled Squid the way i saw in one of the how to. this is what i did
>
> 1)I uninstalled Squid
> 2)
> #ulimit -HSn 8192
> #then recompiled squid with --with-maxfd=8192
> then in my starting squid script i have added ulimit -HSn 8192

Sounds right. Acutally the ulimit when compiling isn't needed when you
use the configure option.

> But still it shows the same number of file descriptors
> File descriptor usage for squid:
> Maximum number of file descriptors: 1024

Odd.. are you sure you are really running the new binary, and that the
ulimit setting is done correctly in the start script?

To verify the binary run /path/to/sbin/squid -v

> There is something fishy about it coz my cache is only 1.1G . and
> moreover there is a file squid.core in my /etc/squid and i do not
> understand its porpose.

The squid.core is a coredump from a fatal error. You can remove it.

> i searched for it online but still i did
> understand it. Is my squidclient giving me stale results. I had even
> cleaned the cache before reinstalling squid. Is there some different
> way to increase the file descriptors in OpenBSD. Kindly Help.

What you did should work from what I can tell.