Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 07:38:37 -0300 (BRT)

Henrik Nordstrom disse na ultima mensagem:
> On fre, 2007-08-10 at 06:50 -0300, Michel Santos wrote:

>> what is what you agree to be broken beyond the shutdown issue?
>
> Bug #761 unstable under high load when using diskd cache_dir
>
> diskd falls over under load due to internal design problems in how it
> maintains callback queues. Duane fixed most of it quite recently so it's
> no longer near as bad as it has been, but there is still stuff to do.
> The problems was first reported 5 years ago.

indeed the cpu load went extremly down after this changes, I won on much
machines more then 30-40%, or better 70/80% cpu load felt down to 30-40%
overall. That was very good

but I could get araound of it before and still do using at least 2 or
better 4 or more diskd processes

>> ok you mean threads instead of pthreads right?
>
> I don't know the FreeBSD thread packages very well to call them by name.
> I only know there is two posix threads implementations. One userspace
> which is what has been around for a long time and can not support aufs
> with any reasonable performance, and a new one in more current releases
> using kernel threads which is quite capable of supporting aufs.

it it pthread versus thr (kernel threads) and who is interested, it's easy
to do on 6.2 by creating /etc/libmap.conf or adding if exist, no further
compile thing is necessary

[/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid]
libpthread.so.2 libthr.so.2
libpthread.so libthr.so

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.