Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:17:51 -0300 (BRT)

Tek Bahadur Limbu disse na ultima mensagem:

>> how much mem the server has installed?
>
> Most of them have 1 GB memory

well, I believe that is really too low for such a busy machine and you
should think of 4-8 gigs (or more?) for such a server

>> what is you kern.maxdsiz value?
>
> It's the default value of 512 MB. I guess I may have to increase it to say
> 768 MB.
>
> I can put the following value in /boot/loader.conf:
>
> kern.maxdsiz=754974720

you can start here but still also too low, I set this to 4 or 6 gigs but I
have much more ram as you in my servers

>> How much memory squid is using just before it crashs? is it using swap?
>> what ipcs tells you then or under load?
>
> Squid could be using somewhere between 500 to 700 MB of memory before it
> crashes.

what do you mean? Could, nothing certain? what is your cache_mem setting?

> It was not using swap.

sure not, if you have 1GB of ram and there are 512Mb left then squid will
crash soon the 512 you allow are used, so no chance to get to swap either

set your maxdsize to 1 or 2 gigs and assist the magic happen

> Currently, ipcs tells me:

no good, ipcs -a at least

> Most of them are Dell SC-420 machines:
> CPU 2.80GHz (2793.09-MHz K8-class CPU)
> Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
> OS: FreeBSD-6.0-6.1 (amd64).

6.2 is way better and releng_6 is really stable you could upgrade which
should be possible with no downtime beside one reboot

>> > By the way, do you have some optimal settings which can be applied to
>> > diskd? Below are some values I use:
>> >
>> > options SHMSEG=128
>> > options SHMMNI=256
>> > options SHMMAX=50331648 # max shared memory segment size
>> (bytes)
>> > options SHMALL=16384 # max amount of shared memory (pages)
>> > options MSGMNB=16384 # max # of bytes in a queue
>> > options MSGMNI=48 # number of message queue identifiers
>> > options MSGSEG=768 # number of message segments
>> > options MSGSSZ=64 # size of a message segment
>> > options MSGTQL=4096 # max messages in system
>> >
>> > Correct me where necessary.
>> >

>> that does not say so much, better you send what comes from sysctl
>> kern.ipc
>
> #sysctl kern.ipc

you see? your kernel options are not exactly what you get at runtime right ;)

> You mean set SHMMAXPGS using sysctl or compile it? Also what the best
> value for SHMMAXPGS?

yes sysctl, they are runtime tunable

you must check out with ipcs and set your system to what works well
without using too high values

other values I saw are eventually not so good choices, as somaxconn seems
way to high and nbmclusters are 0 ?

may be you trust the fbsd auto-tuning and compile your kernel with
max_user 0 and restart without sysctl values but maxdsiz to 1 gb or so and
see what happens.

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.