Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:51:06 -0300 (BRT)

Tek Bahadur Limbu disse na ultima mensagem:

> Ok let me upgrade my memory before setting it to 2 GB or more.
> I will set it to 768 MB for now since I have only 1 GB of memory at the
> moment.

I believe with stock maxdsiz your squid process can not use more than the
512MB limit ... so I do not know where you get 600 from

maxdsiz is not only RAM related but defines the upper limit of memory a
process can use and so I believe your machine does not swap even if not
exist RAM enough for the process (generally) but enough to get to the
limit (maxdsiz) and that might be the reason your squid process crash when
it tries to use more than the 512 limit

>> other values I saw are eventually not so good choices, as somaxconn
>> seems
>> way to high and nbmclusters are 0 ?
>
> Well I will reduce somaxconn to 8192. The reason why I set nbmclusters
> to 0 is because of satellite link delays and high number of tcp
> connections, I run out of mbufs. They easily reach between 64000 -
> 128000 and sometimes even more. Every now and then, I would lose tcp
> connections due to the high number of mbufs in use. So I found this
> little hack which keeps the number of mbufs utilization at bay.

what size is your link?

Sure this is not related to your crash and to your link either but
somaxconn is the queue size of pending connections and not the number of
connections and you are probably setting this far too high. somaxconn as
1024 or max 2048 would be more reasonable and nmbcluster I would not set
higher than 128 or 256k

if you eat that up you have other troubles and increasing this values does
not solve them I guess

michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.