Re: [squid-users] Browser's Autoconfiguration

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:27:15 +1200 (NZST)

> Greetings to all!
> I have setup squid2.6STABLE and apache1.3.33 in one box. squid listens
> to 3128 and apache listens to 8080, firewall allows www through
> internal nic (eth1). I have configured rc5.d for start both at boot
> time, it is working fine but both squid and apache serve requests
> before login anyone in the server. (this is not a production server).
> apache runs by squid (user) too.
> 1). please. I hope your comments in the security aspect.
> 2). I tried proxy.pac and wpad.dat methods for browser's
> autoconfiguration and failed. please, what are the best articles to
> read regarding above? squid2.6STABLE/apache1.3.33
> Thanking you
> Mohan

The whole WPAD/PAC area is a mess because WPAD has never been standardized.
I was going to point you at the squid wiki for both, but after previewing
those pages it seems they just describe the 'what' but are still not clear
enough on the config details.
Instead I'll step up and offer some direct help.

First, lets get the terminology clear to start with:
 WPAD is the method of a browser detecting that it is meant to locate a PAC.
 PAC is the bit of java code that tells the browser how to source web
requests.

What method of WPAD are you using now? DNS or DHCP or both?
What client browsers are you trying to connect? and how have you tried
configuring them?

Amos