Re: [squid-users] HTTPS Connect requests are slow

From: Michele Vetturi <michele.vetturi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:54:22 +0200

On 8/1/07, K K <kkadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/31/07, Michele Vetturi <michele.vetturi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm facing troubles with Squid (currently using 3.0PRE5 on Debian
> > etch, but already tried 2.6 branch) surfing on https sites (webmail and
> > internet banking in particular).
> >
> > Surfing on those sites, ssl connections seems really slow. The browser
> > freeze rendering the page, which appear white but with the correct
> > sitename on the titlebar, or it doesn't render the page at all.
>
> Given that Squid doesn't inspect nor cache SSL transactions, have you
> considered bypassing Squid for 'https' URLs?

Hi Kevin and thanks for you reply. Proxying SSL connections is not a
MAY in our environment, unfortunately.

I tried using the latest release on Debian 64bit:

Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE14
configure options: '--prefix=/usr/local/squid'
'--build=x86_64-linux-gnu' '--enable-async-io=8'
'--enable-storeio=ufs,aufs,coss' '--enable-removal-policies=lru,heap'
'--enable-snmp' '--with-filedescriptors=4096'
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu'

> > The strange behavior happens *only* with Internet Explorer (6th
> > release, don't know with the 7th). Firefox and Opera works well.
>
> There are bugs in MSIE when using CONNECT for SSL via a proxy, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923535 for one such example.

IE7 confirms the same behavior, with a higher release of the
wininet.dll library. I know the problem is IE but We don't need
religion debates...

Is there any trick which may resolve the problem?

--
Michele