[squid-users] Re: refresh patterns!

From: RW <fbsd06@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:07:29 +0100

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:46:09 +0800
Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:

> Would any other ISPs be willing to share their refresh patterns
> and achieved request/byte hit rates for forward caching proxies?

Are refresh patterns very relevant to hit-rates?

When an object becomes stale, squid will verify it on the next access,
which mostly results in a TCP_REFRESH_HIT, which is still a hit. You
might argue that since it involves a round-trip it's a "second-class"
hit as far as latency is concerned, but I can't see how refresh
patterns have any significant effect on byte hit-rate. Modern browsers
also seem to be much more restrained in how they reload, so I'm also a
bit sceptical about reload-into-ims.

I would have thought that most of the scope for improvement comes from
the cache acls.