Re: [squid-users] Origin server timeout

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:39:01 +0200

On tis, 2007-08-21 at 16:09 -0700, Frank Ruiz wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have an origin server that timeous up for up to 1 minute during
> extreme conditions. As a result, time_wait connections on the squid
> host go through the roof.

TIME_WAIT sockets stay around for one minue or two after the
request/connection has been closed. It's not normally a problem and just
how TCP/IP works, but if you run a very high request rate then the
server may run out of free ports due to all ports being used by
TIME_WAIT sockets.

First action to take is to increase the range of free ports. The default
varies a lot between different OS:es and versions, from 4K to 30K.
TCP/IP allows for up to 60K ports,

In Linux

echo 1024 65535 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range