[squid-users] IE6 ignoring cache-control due to HTTP/1.0 header?

From: ToddWilliams <twilliams@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:15:14 -0700 (PDT)

My IE6 browser makes an HTTP/1.1 request thru squid (2.5 STABLE12) to a
server.
Reply from the IIS6 server is HTTP/1.1, then thru squid who returns to IE6 a
HTTP/1.0 header which includes Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store and Pragma:
no-cache and Expires: -1

A subsequent request seems to come from IE6's local cache -- it ignored the
directives.

We tried using CCproxy instead, which returned nearly identical headers
except for the HTTP/1.1 line.
That worked as expected.

Is IE6 ignoring the Cache-Control line because it sees the HTTP/1.0 ?
I guess it is ignoring Pragma, because it's not HTTPS, but what about my
Expires: -1 line?

Microsoft KB article 234067 says "HTTP 1.0 servers cannot use the
Cache-Control header." and "Cache-Control headers are invalid in HTTP 1.0
prevents caching only when used over a secure connection"

I guess a true HTTP/1.1 squid would fix this, but I may be forced to use
some other proxy at this point. :-(
Any other ideas?