Re: [squid-users] For caching media

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 20:39:43 +0800

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007, squid learner wrote:
> Hi!
> All gru
> Here using squid for cahing media files like films
> and clips is imposible
> As some other cache stuff is there specially for media
>
> Is it possible to use that in same squid box and
> give some ? in squid.conf to go and check media from
> there if there is
>
> Did any one have any past experience
>
> I have 50 clients they are adict of downloading films
> and it sucks

You need to look at the HTTP requests and replies - begin by
enabling MIME logging. Then you need to learn a little about how
refresh_patterns and cache (which was once no_cache) work in
limiting what can and can't be cached.

Then there's probably some modifications that Squid needs - specifically
floating about supporting caching partial Range Request responses.

Funny you should mention it, I'm building a commercial Squid appliance right
at the moment which, amongst other things (like out of the box functional
interception/WCCPv2 support, anti-spyware/malware filtering, black/whitelists,
web-based User/ACL management, some useful reporting output, etc.) will
include stuff to begin caching sites like Youtube and Google Maps/Earth.
Its tricky to do right and things will need changing/adapting over time.
What worked yesterday might not work so well tomorrow..

Adrian