Re: [squid-users] Opinion

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:45:25 +0545

Hi Antonio,

Antonio Pereira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an existing firewall and would like to use squid to do url
> filtering and blocking. What is the best setup for this 1or 2 nic cards
> and if to setup squid as a transparent proxy or a proxy. What is your
> opinions to those who are already using it under my present setup.
>
> I have 4 sites connecting to the internet through one site and that is
> where the firewall is and now I would like to start filtering and
> blocking.

Is your firewall a Linux/Unix box or a hardware product? What do the 4
sites mean? Do they mean 4 different networks? If they are 4 different
networks, then how are they connected to the firewall?

The number of network interfaces depends upon how your 4 sites are
connected to the firewall or how your router handles web traffic from
the 4 sites.

I think that your best solution would be to setup Squid in bridge mode
and placing it in front of your firewall.

If you need to use authentication or want to make it mandatory for your
users to configure the proxy settings in their web browsers, then you
just need a normal forward proxy.

If you don't want your users to manually configure the proxy settings in
their respective browsers and also want to force your users web traffic
to go via Squid, then a transparent proxy will be good for you.

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,