Re: [squid-users] Squid3 and c-icap

From: Christos Tsantilas <christos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:46:18 +0300

Hi Lars,

> Hi there,

> I set up the combo Squid3 and c-icap and it works for most. However, I
> get a couple of "ICAP protocol errors" during downloads.

The version of squid3 you are using is about 10 months old, please
upgrade to a newer version:
  http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/

> Even more strange are AVIRA updates for the Win-Boxes. I can download
> all files using the browser, but the updater fails. I could not find any
> sound indication in the logs.
>
> As a work around I currently put in squid.conf
>
> acl avira dstdom_regex -i dl[0-9]\.avgate\.net
> icap_access class_antivirus deny avira

Your workaround possibly is the correct.
Depending on configuration of c-icap, files bigger than a defined size
are not downloaded as normal, but instead c-icap sends to the web client
 a web page with info about download progress and when the download
completes, you are getting a link from which you can download the file.
In this case auto-upgrades will not work.

About c-icap configuration please ask to the c-icap mailing list.

> Can anybody give me a hint on how to do better diagnosis on the problem?

Again upgrade your squid3 proxy to a newer version.
Always you can to send urls which are not working.
Also wireshark is a good tool :-)

> My Squid is the Debian Etch Squid3, but with ICAP enabled, i.e. built
> from the Debian source package with modified rules file:
> $ squid3 -v
> Squid Cache: Version 3.0.PRE5

Regards,
   Christos