Re: [squid-users] squid to N2H2/Bess performance problem

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:17:53 +0800

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007, mrosquid@eastgranby.k12.ct.us wrote:
> We have been using squid for a number of years (since about 1999) at the
> East Granby, CT, USA school system. We use IE and have IE configured to
> point to squid at port 3128. Recently, the state (CT) started to provide
> a filtering system for optional use by school districts within the state.
> This filtering is performed by the Bess product at the state data center.
> When filtering is enabled, most web sites perform well. However, certain
> web sites (e.g. http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids) perform miserably. It takes
> about five minutes to load the page, whereas without filtering, the page
> loads almost instantaneously. Also, if I bypass squid for a PC, but pass
> through the filtering system, the page loads almost instantaneously.
>
> Can someone suggest an approach to debugging this problem?

I'd start by setting up a test proxy that only you use, and see if using
that proxy has the same issue.

If it does, then you can easily debug/traffic snoop stuff to see exactly
where the delays are.

If it doesn't then you need to try and see whats different (besides the
obvious one, which is one has more clients than the other.. :)

Adrian