Re: [squid-users] WCCPv2 - L2 + 3550 cisco switch

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:23:01 +0800

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007, Horacio Herrera Gonzalez wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who supports the great Squid! The Wiki and this
> mail-list have been very useful to me, but this time I'm stuck and I
> can't find any previous example to take off from there, so I was
> hoping for you guys feeling generous today and give me a clue or
> two... :)

Thanks!

> I want to do transparent redirection using a 3550 cisco switch, but it
> doesn't redirect any packet at all.

It should do. I had it working when I had a loaner Cisco 3550..

> wccp2_forwarding_method 2
> wccp2_return_method 2
> wccp2_assignment_method 2
>
> And the cache.log file shows this:
>
> fatal error - A WCCP router has specified a different assignment
> method 1, expected 2
>
> Changing the Assignment method to 1 didn't had any effect, so I
> changed the Return method too, like this:
>
> wccp2_forwarding_method 2
> wccp2_return_method 1
> wccp2_assignment_method 1

It needs to be a little friendlier, I agree. The Cisco 3550:

* does hash assignment (like a software router);
* does L2 forwarding (like a switch)
* and I think does GRE redirect (which squid doesn't do atm.)

> After that, everything looked like if it were going to work:
>
> - No related errors inside "cache.log".
>
> - The switch reported the following:
>
> WCCP Client ID: 10.10.2.2
> Protocol Version: 2.0
> State: Usable
> Redirection: L2
> Packet Return: GRE
> Assignment: HASH
> Initial Hash Info: 00000000000000000000000000000000
> 00000000000000000000000000000000
> Assigned Hash Info: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
> Hash Allotment: 256 (100.00%)
> Packets s/w Redirected: 0
> Connect Time: 00:08:11
> Bypassed Packets
> Process: 0
> CEF: 0
>
> - And even the GRE tunnel seems to be up:
>
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
> udp 0 0 10.10.2.2:2048 10.10.2.1:2048 ESTABLISHED

Yup.

> P.D. Other relevant configuration:
>
> + Switch related:
>
> ip wccp web-cache
>
> interface Vlan6
> description Clients
> ip wccp web-cache redirect in

Does vlan6 have an IP address configured? WCCPv2 on a 3550 only works if the
clients are routed through it. It wont work if its being a switch. Clients
need to have vlan6 set as a default gateway.

Adrian