Re: [squid-users] high performance filesystem on squid

From: Nicole <nmh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:07:40 -0700 (PDT)

On 06-Sep-07 My Secret NSA Wiretap Overheard Henrik Nordstrom Saying :
> On tor, 2007-09-06 at 12:55 -0400, Dave wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm looking for the highest performance possible out of freebsd and
>> squid. I've got a box with scsi disks that i want to work the best. I've
>> heard of xfs and reiserfs, but believe those are linux only? Right now in my
>> current setup i'm running it on ufs2 with softupdates, i'd like to know if
>> this is the best or if there's a better way to do things? This will be on a
>> freebsd 6.2 box.
>
> My recommendations:
>
> softupdates, and noatime.
>
> cache_dir aufs, using the kernel threads package.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

 Also, if you don't mind living a little dangerously, ZFS on 7 Current (soon to
be release) seems to work very well. (it is its own file system that can be
for raid or just as a filesystem)

 Also the Gjournal, gournaled file system is on 7 as well (which can safely be
used async as well as noatime), but it seems to be being overshadowed by ZFS.

 It will be interesting seeing how 7 fairs with squid as it is a pretty big
rewite in some ways. I have been testing it and it seems to work quite well.

  Nicole

--
  -  nmh@daemontech.com  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 "The term "daemons" is a Judeo-Christian pejorative.
 Such processes will now be known as "spiritual guides"
  - Politicaly Correct UNIX Page