Re: [squid-users] How can I clean out old objects - refresh patt

From: Nicole <nmh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

On 19-Sep-07 My Secret NSA Wiretap Overheard Adrian Chadd Saying :
> Files aren't deleted when they expire.
>
> Files are deleted when:
>
> * A request occurs and squid checks the file for freshness, or
> * Squid issues a validation requests and determines the local copy is stale,
> or
> * Squid needs to make space (as the disk store is full) and starts running
> the object replacement policy to purge objects - but then, it doesn't
> maintain
> a list of "stale" objects to purge; it just deletes the 'oldest' objects.
>
> Adrian

 Thanks for the clarification, but Eeek!

 So then, I guess this raises the question: If you have plenty of disk, there
really is nothing from keeping ancient files hanging around, using up space
and enlarging your swap.state file?

 I thought it was an either not enough space Or older than expire time would
 delete objects.

 So it seems like, I either have to manually purge old files every so often, or
set my disk space artificially to prevent too many objects based on my
servers's memory or increase my memory?

 Is that what people generally do?

  Nicole

--