[squid-users] SquidNT - Compressing rotated logs

From: Paul Cocker <paul.cocker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:31:47 +0100

Since I'm running SquidNT there's no native log rotation method. I'm
writing a batch file to handle this, but I would like to zip up the
archive copies of the log to save space, seeing as how store.log and
access.log are 500MB+ each in less than a week. Thing is, I want to run
this from the command line, preferably without relying no any 3rd party
solutions.

I looked at compress.exe in the Windows 2003 Resource Kit, but I'd
rather take advantage of the built in ZIP folders if possible... plus I
couldn't figure out in three minutes how to uncompress them, and I don't
want to rely on people remembering to compress them again after.

Anyone know of a built in method I can use to do this?

Paul Cocker
IT Systems Administrator
IT Security Officer

01628 81(6647)

TNT Post (Doordrop Media) Ltd.
1 Globeside Business Park
Fieldhouse Lane
Marlow
Bucks
SL7 1HY

TNT Post is the trading name for TNT Post UK Ltd (company number: 04417047), TNT Post (Doordrop Media) Ltd (00613278), TNT Post Scotland Ltd (05695897),TNT Post North Ltd (05701709) and TNT Post South West Ltd (05983401). Emma's Diary and Lifecycle are trading names for Lifecycle Marketing (Mother and Baby) Ltd (02556692). All companies are registered in England and Wales; registered address: 1 Globeside Business Park, Fieldhouse Lane, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 1HY.