Re: [squid-users] delays in squid.

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:43:33 +0545

Hi Azfar Hashmi,

Azfar Hashmi wrote:
> I am running squid on a 3ghz p4 processor with 1gb ddr ram. My max
> simaltanous users are 250 and average 100. I have a 3.5mb circuit on
> it. I have a 160GB SATAII harddrive on it.
> My problem is i am getting huge delay with squid (5-10sec in each
> request and some times more) on peak hours but if i bypass the squid
> every thing is perfect and page complete in just 1 sec normaly.

For a bandwidth pipe of 3.5 mbps, your Squid box should be able to
support 250 users. By which means do you get you bandwidth?

Do you have large ACLs used for filtering in your Squid box? If yes,
then the problem of the huge delay could be attributed to your ACLs.

Posting your squid.conf might help? Which OS, firewall and version of
Squid are you using?

DNS could also be the culprit. Are you running a local caching nameserver?

> I have defined 20GB in cache_dir.
>
> I want to know with that hardware how many users squid can handle and
> how much bandwidth it can handle?

Can you post us the output of the following 2 commands:

squidclient mgr:info

        and

squidclient mgr:5min | grep client

Thanking you...