RE: [squid-users] Re: Caching downloaded files from dynamic pages

From: Alexander K <alexanderk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:43:59 +0300

> Because the server really do not want the file to be cached.
>
> The headers says:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:10:49 GMT
> Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
>

> The key thins here is
> a) That it's a query URL, with what looks like unique
> parameters, so each request will likely be different even if
> you convince Squid to cache the result..
>
> b) The server has expressed a quite strong opinion that the
> file must not be cached in shared caches (Cache-Control: private).
>
> c) There is no Expires/Last-Modified/max-age headers to base
> freshness calculations on.
>
> d) There is no ETag for conditional caching (where the
> content is cached, but each query is first verified with the origin).
>

> Note: Squid-3 has a refresh_pattern override for overriding overriding
> Cache-Control: private.
>

> So any solution for caching these objects is going to be
> quite custom tailored for this site. There is no generic
> workaround to cache such cache-unfriendly objects.

Thank you for reply and for information.

Could someone please give me some assistance and hint doing this?

As I've said in my previous messages, hardware ain't problem, network
bandwith / time is, I can dedicate Dual-Xeon 3GHz, 2GB memory, 250GB system
just for Squid, if needed.

Should I get started with YouTube Wikiguide
(http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent/YouTube) and try
to:
* play with refresh_pattern using .aspx as filetype
* use ignore-private as RW mentioned?
* Can I use 2.6 or do I need to switch 3.x?

I am kinda lost here and don't know where to start, never before done
caching and looks like this is hard piece with all this information. :(
I would RTFM but as you said, no general workaround.

Alexander