[squid-users] squid-2.HEAD + store_copy beta testing

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:55:48 +0800

G'day,

There's been some changes to Squid-2.HEAD which I'd like some testing of.
It works for me and it may work just as well for you.

I've changed squid-2.HEAD to not zero all the buffers it uses.
This may or make not make an impact on your Squid. If you run a busy
reverse accelerator with plenty of memory hits then you may notice
it.

Just grab the latest Squid-2.HEAD snapshot and put "zero_buffers off" into
your config file.

Let me know if you try it out and whether you notice a CPU drop or not.

Next, I'm doing some work to reduce the amount of data copying and temporary
buffers being used in Squid-2.HEAD. The first cut of this is "store_copy" in
Squid Sourceforge. If you're interested in testing this out and providing
feedback then:

* Grab squid-2.HEAD;
* grab this diff: http://devel.squid-cache.org/cgi-bin/diff2/store_copy
* apply the diff and build.

Now, you may notice a couple percent CPU drop from using this patch if, again,
you have a reasonably busy proxy with a high number of memory hits.
Please let me know if you're running it and whether or not you see any
CPU or memory use differences. Definitely tell me if anything is busted. :)

I'd really appreciate some testing of this stuff before I continue working
on tidying up the storage API and reduce the (rather lot of) data copying
thats going on. The eventual aim of this is to drastically increase the
amount of traffic Squid can handle, so the more testing I get during earlier
stages the better.

Thanks!

Adrian