Re: [squid-users] swapping/resource

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:06:46 +1200

Frank Ruiz wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a system with 32GB of RAM, and I have my squid cache configured
> as an in memory cache only.
>
> Currently Squid cache mem is set to:
> cache_mem 18000 MB
>
> Cache dir is set to :
> cache_dir null /ebay/local/var/nocache
>
> Two things I am hoping to do is:
>
> Reduce swap.
> It appears that for every GIG of physical mem used, there is a
> corresponding amount of swap that is also allocated.

I believe this is an OS feature which has to be disabled in the kernel
configuration somewhere. I managed to fluke it here once when I didn't
want to, took a hell of a time undoing the setting.
Squid itself does not allocate any disk space unless a disk-based cache
is configured.

> i.e. squid using 27G of RAM, and also 27G of swap is allocated. There
> is nothing else running on this box other than squid.
>
> Reduce CPU utilization. Currently CPU is maxed out.

You are running Squid 2.6s16?
2.6 has had the most time spent optimising resources so far to date.

Amos