Re: [squid-users] Deployment Considerations

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 22:22:43 +0545

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Jenkins wrote:
> I had a question about how most people were deploying their squid
> caches, are you deploying them behind firewalls and is so what type
> of rule set are you using? Is there any case where someone is
> running the firewall and squid cache on the same box? I am running
> Squid on a Solaris 10.

I am not an expert in Fire walling and security.

I am currently deploying Squid both in Linux IPTABLES boxes and FreeBSD
IPFW boxes.

Both the firewall and Squid are on the same machines.

The 1st part of the rules in those firewalls are for redirecting web
traffic to squid's port for transproxy.

Then there are rules to filter who gets access to Squid's port before
hitting Squid in the 1st place.

Then comes the small set of stateful rules with the firewall.

Then there are the firewall rules to limit who gets access to sensitive
ports.
Blocking netbios and broadcast traffic from Windows machines on ports
135-139 are also common in my firewall setup.

Filtering ICMP traffic is also a good thing to do with a firewall.

Lastly but not the least, you make the firewall log intrusion or
unwanted activity in a limited way.

Some of my Linux Squid boxes are also acting as gateways, so there are
some FORWARD and OUTPUT rules besides the INPUT rules to control which
network traffic gets in and out of the box.

Actually, you should deploy at least 2 hardware/software firewalls
before any traffic reaches your Squid proxy. They might include routers,
load-balancers or even a Linux/Unix hardened box itself.

The reason why I run firewalls inside my Squid boxes is for it to act as
the last line of defense in case unwanted traffic somehow penetrates the
hardware firewalls.

I don't have any experience in Solaris. Which firewall are you using in
your Solaris box. I have heard that IPFILTER can run under Solaris.

Also the firewall depends upon where the Squid Solaris box resides on
your network?

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,