Re: [squid-users] authenticating against Win2000 AD

From: polloxx <polloxx@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:50:49 +0200

On 10/2/07, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> On mån, 2007-10-01 at 16:47 +0200, polloxx wrote:
>
> > I'll try it your way, because I was already too long struggling on this. :(
> > It seems that samba 3.x no longer needs winbind, it even doesn't work
> > using winbind, according to the squid FAQ.
>
> Samba 3.x defenitely needs winbind. Where in the FAQ did you get the
> impression it does not? All I can remember is it saying Squid only needs
> the winbind (+ntlm_auth) parts, not SMB..

 Henrik,

 http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ProxyAuthentication#head-1d6e24e071a1a5e65f112d9a96cdf1320684a8f2

<q>
For Samba-3.X the winbind helpers which was shipped with Squid should
not be used (and won't work if you attempt to do so), instead the
ntlm_auth helper shipped as part of the Samba-3 distribution should be
used. This helper supports all versions of Squid and both the ntlm and
basic authentication schemes. For details on how to use this Samba
helper see the Samba documentation. For group membership lookups the
wbinfo_group helper shipped with Squid can be used (this is just a
wrapper around the samba wbinfo program and works with all versions of
Samba)
</q>