Re: [squid-users] Squid + Outlook

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:25:24 +0545

Hi Arun,

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am new to Linux and squid, but recently I have been able to setup
> fedora 6 + squid 2.5 with NCSA authentication (with due help of this
> list).
>
> I know that my new peoblem is not directly related to squid, but I
> have seen on google that lot of other users are also facing the same
> problem, and there is no easy guide from squid or linux users /
> administrator on the issue.
>
> When we (me and users) were having direct access to Internet our
> Outlook were also working perfectly, but as soon as I have installed
> fedora + squid + NCSA authentication, my users ( windows clients) are
> facing problem in downloading / sending mails though they can surf
> Internet.
>
> Every body is saying that this is not related to squid (as they work
> on different ports), but definatly it is a byproduct (at least
> sympotmatic) of Squid. Thus there is a need to have a simple howto for
> squid + outlook.
>
> I am still looking for help / document on it.

Where in your network is this Fedora/Squid box located? Do you have an
IPTABLES firewall running on this box?

Is this problem just with MS Outlook or with other email clients such as
Thunderbird, Eudora, etc?

When your clients are having problems downloading/sending emails, can
your clients telnet to your Email server on port 25, 110 or 143?

While running telnet tests from your client's Windows machines, run
tcpdump on your Fedora/Squid box and see if you can actually see traffic
on the Outlook related ports such as 25 or 110.

Do access.log and cache.log say anything relating to your Outlook problem?

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,