Re: [squid-users] Caching Expired Objects - One Small Step Forward

From: Solomon Asare <solomonasare@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 03:20:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

> a small success:
> I have set a an apache2.2 server as a proxy without
> caching as a parent proxy to my squid. I pass my
> youtube video clips through this parent. The apache
> is
> on the same machine as the squid. Using the
> mod_header
> module in apache, I cleaned out all the worrisome
> headers in the the youtube clips and now squid
> caches
> them and produces hits.
>
> The only outstanding issue is youtube serves videos
> from random servers. I will therefore have to
> implement a redirection script so that if a video
> clip
> has already been cached, I will pick that one. I
> hope
> to work on that over the weekend.
>
> I sometimes get about 10% traffic to youtube so if I
> can get a descent HIT rate it will be significant to
> the overall performance of my squid. Thanks for the
> hand-holding, Henrik.
>
> Regards,
> solomon.

I promised an update: Following my using an apache
proxy as a parent to my squid for youtube videos, I
have setup jesred to rewrite my url's for videos
already in my cache. HIT rate has gradually moved from
about less than 3% to close to 30%. I hope it will
continue to increase with time as I get more videos in
my cache.

I have a script in crontab searching through store.log
 to update my jesred regex rules.

Things To Do:
Maintain my jesred rules with a script that will
expunge regex rules for expired objects.

Thanks, Now ready to deploy my squid for the whole
network within the next few days. Windowsupdate still
a headache though. Not found much that have been
helpful yet.

solomon.