Re: [squid-users] Caching Expired Objects - One Small Step Forward

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:05:33 +0545

Hi Solomon,

Solomon Asare wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- Manoj_Rajkarnikar <manoj@vianet.com.np> wrote:
>
>> Great job solomon. Many of us have been trying to
>> achieve similar with
>> youtube and google vids. this will help a great
>> deal. how big of a
>> cachedir do you keep for youtube vids. should be
>> quite a big to be able to
>> cache the vids in large enough quantity to get a
>> decent hit. I'm gonna try
>> to achieve what you've describe here for my next
>> project.
>>
>> Thanks for the job well done.
>>
>> Manoj
>>

> Currently, my cache size is 70 GB. I have just filled
> almost 25 GB. I will upgrade to either 200 or 500 GB
> when I deploy.

I really appreciate your initiative and great work regarding caching
youtube objects. Everybody will benefit from your work.

Are you intending to run a single cache of 500 GB in size or a couple of
proxy caches amounting to 500 GB in size?

It's because running a 500 GB cache in a single machine is going to
cause you problems along the way. Such a large cache will also be a
little more difficult to maintain compared to a 10 or 20 GB cache.

Despite the low cost of hard drives these days, I would prefer to spread
the disk storage over a couple of squid caches instead of a single
cache. They can also be configured for load-balancing later.

If for some reasons, your cache gets corrupted, it might take a very
long time to fix it and I am sure that Squid's median response might
will get higher.

Anyway, it's just my suggestion.

Thanking you...

--