Re: [squid-users] Caching Expired Objects - One Small Step Forward

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:25:35 +0800

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007, Solomon Asare wrote:

> > If for some reasons, your cache gets corrupted, it
> > might take a very
> > long time to fix it and I am sure that Squid's
> > median response might
> > will get higher.
> >
> > Anyway, it's just my suggestion.
>
> Now that you have mentioned it I will do some reading
> on the subject to determine what the optimal disk size
> should be. May be bigger is not better.

Ah, things get a bit weird when you start factoring in huge objects into Squid's
cache store.

The old logic doesn't hold for large files. One youtube video takes precisely
the same amount of memory to index than a small image. It still takes one inode up
in the UFS-like storage system, and rebuilding from that store is a factor of
the number of files, not of how big those files are. (Squid only reads the header
from each file to build the in-memory index, it doesn't read the entire file.)

That said, you're currently caching the videos in the apache proxy and not in the
Squid proxy.

Adrian