Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy with Apache (LB) in front

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:18:22 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a big project to create a CDN (Content Delivery Network) to
> replace the Akamaļ job.
> I have think to Squid 2.6 (debian etch package) and Apache in reverse
> proxy mode (LoadBalancing and rewrite rules to specify a squid, apply
> loadfactor, ...). I have a problem to evaluate the resources needed.
>
> I have distinguish the static (image, css, js, ...) to cache (with
> static.website.tld subdomain)
> All static content (with ~10 websites) is above 80Go and ~10.000 hit/s.
>
> I would start with this minimal configuration (I have omitted the
> redundancy with heartbeat)
>
> ASCII Art :
>

> Internet
> |

> Apache ( Reverse Proxy Mode)
> / | \
> / | \
> / | \
> Squid--Squid--Squid
> \ | /
> ligHTTPD Static server
>

> The filesystem on squid server is ReiserFS (raid 10 with hdd SAS 15K
> RPM 73Go) with 4Gb ram and intel quad core.
>
> My questions is :
>
> - how to suppress warning message when an object is in cache more than
> one day (I don't have this message this day tomorrow if you need the
> exact message)?
>
> - I should config squid with a very large cache :
>
> cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 51200 256 2048
>
> and 3Gb cache memory
>
> for you this configuration seem's to be OK ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your response / suggest

Off the top of my head:

Squid has load balancing so they can do all that internally.
I suggest trying a non-caching squid 2.6s17 built slim and with lots of FD
available on short timeouts, running on a very fast CPU as the parent.

Below that the child squid. If you have multi-core CPU(s), one squid
instance per CPU, with one CPU/machine left for OS, and lots of RAM to
supply them all.

Amos