Re: [squid-users] COSS store rebuild speed

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:45:48 +0800

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007, leongmzlist wrote:
> Does squid read the entire coss file when it starts up and does the
> store rebuild? I'm planning to have 480GB store, using 48 10GB coss files.
>
> I have 6 disks, so each disk will have 8 COSS files, each coss file @ 10GB
>
> During my initial test, it takes ~120 seconds to read through a 10GB
> coss store. At that rate, it'll take over an hour to do the rebuild.
>
> Any tips, suggestions?

I'd suggest benchmarking the COSS effective throughput with 48 COSS spools.
Someone who lurks in the #squiddev irc channel noted that COSS stopped
scaling on request rate after a couple of COSS stripes.

The COSS rebuild procedure is horrible but its all I could do given the
constraints I was working under. If someone would like to "fix" it I'm
more than happy to talk to them about it; I just don't have the time
to invest in changing the COSS disk format to support faster
rebuilds.

Adrian