Re: [squid-users] Squid on DualxQuad Core 8GB Rams - Optimization - Performance - Large Scale - IP Spoofing

From: Tony Dodd <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:15:25 +0100

Andrew Miehs wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> Not that I am a SuperMicro fan any longer, but I suspect the reason that
> the Poweredge is quicker
> is because of the quicker disks - and if you are running a 64bit OS,
> because of the
> increased amount of memory.

Agreed. I'm going to be trialling a 1950 with 10k rpm 146gb drives in
it in a few weeks; same spec otherwise. Think it'll be interesting to
see the performance difference between the two disk speeds. All
machines are 64bit, and squid is a memory whore, so 8gb helps, a lot.

> Squid can only utilise one processor, so you would be better off with
> the Xeon 5148 if
> CPU was really the bottleneck.

Indeed; my original plan was to run multiple squid instances on the same
machine, but after further thought, it didn't make sense to do it that
way. As it happened, the Low Voltage quad cores were the cheaper cpu.

--
Tony Dodd, Systems Administrator
Last.fm | http://www.last.fm