[squid-users] Re: Filemanager

From: Michael Jurisch <archer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:13:35 +0200

Hi!

>Seeing as your system knows which file is now obsolete you can use any of the the cache-manager systems to drop individual URI out of the cache.

Well, do you know other cache managers than cachemgr.cgi? It would give more comfort to search not just for a spefific URI but also text inside html and so on like cachepurger can handle it. Strangely cachepurger says, that certain jpgs are in cache, but cachemgr doesn't list them!? :-(

>Altering the cache directly is NOT recommended. Squid is not guaranteed to use the same filing system in two given cache-dirs and not all squid fs match OS fs. If a file is altered in-cache it may cause serious problems.

Hm, what problems could occur?

>'Locking' of files like that makes no sense in HTTP. Either a URI is available or its dead. If you are really wanting an archive of old content you should be looking elsewhere than the web proxy.
>You're better off locking it on the origin server fs and following the same procedure on the proxy as for changed files.

I think I have trouble to understand that. "following the same procedure on the proxy" means to me, that I have to lock the files on the proxy - and this is exactly what I want. :-) But how do I achieve that? If I lock the file at the origin server (chmod), will these rights be forwarded to the proxy and it is locked, too? But what if I want a file to remain as fresh for 30 mins in the proxy cache, locking of file at origin starts after 10 mins. So for 20 mins the proxy won't recognize the change and the file is still accessible, which is not fine. :-)

Thanks for you help,
Micha