Re: [squid-users] two sibling squids talking via ICP while caching a parent web server

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:39:58 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hello
> We've gotten the single Squid server working with the one parent backend
> caching nicely, now we've added a second Squid, and want it configured
> the same, but also have it use the other Squid as a sibling, and
> vice-versa. From what we can see this will get us what we want, but
> it's not working. While I'll occasionally see a mention of the other
> Squid server in the logs for each of them - for example, from the logs
> on nldg-27:
>
> /var/log/squid/store.log:1192652265.671 SWAPOUT 00 00000051
> 24BC0FD5CD9FAC9885F196E48A1F649E 200 1192652265 -1 1192653765
> text/html 43325/43325 GET
> http://nldg-28.domain.com/ISNet/environments/index.html
> /var/log/squid/store.log:1192652299.555 SWAPOUT 00 00000052
> 4F361C5B13A2D088A38BA1B244469D48 200 1192652299 -1 1192653799
> text/html 55205/55205 GET
> http://nldg-28.domain.com/ISNet/forms_templates/index.html

Access.log is where you need to be looking. Not store log. store is just a
log of whats been cached on the local machine, not whats proxied in
transit.

Access.log in native squid format will tell you the source used, and in
emulation mode will still show the ICP hits/misses.

> It still never seems to get pages that we know one server has - and
> instead always goes to the backend webserver, the parent to get it.
> We've worked on this for days now (otherwise I wouldn't send it in) and
> we're stumped. Going through the site, faq, book, everything. I assume
> we're missing something very basic, but we've been unable to find it.
> Here is our squid.conf, with our two Squid sibling servers being nldg-27
> and nldg-28, and the backend webserver, the parent, being nsdgecmweb-18.

"cache_peer ... proxy-only" prevents local storage, and thus no STORE
logged. store.log is naturally a log of only things stored locally.

Your squid.conf looks right so its probably getting data from peers but
you are looking in the wrong log file.

Access.log will show ICP HIT's when a peer provides data.
With debugging on the peer selection cache.log will contain a nice graph
of the source choices squid has after ACL to show where/why of the source.

Amos

PS. Please don't copyright or provide other restrictive legal disclaimers
on message you are publishing in public areas of the Internet.