[squid-users] squid accel peer load balancing weighted round robbin?

From: Sylvain Viart <sylvain.viart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:46:56 +0200

Hi,

I've a squid Version 2.6.STABLE16

with the following config accel mode

design:

proxy ----> php-01..php-08

php are apache server no slibing proxy.

cache_peer php-01 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
login=PASS max-conn=100
#cache_peer php-02 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin
weight=0 login=PASS
cache_peer php-03 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
login=PASS
cache_peer php-04 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
login=PASS
cache_peer php-05 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
login=PASS
cache_peer php-06 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
login=PASS
cache_peer php-07 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=3
login=PASS max-conn=100
cache_peer php-08 parent 80 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
login=PASS max-conn=100

Strangely the weight seems not impact the load balancing as I might expect.

If increase weight on a the peer php-03 result
  * less load on peer 01
  * more load on peer 03
  * less load on peer 04
  * more load on peer 05
  * same load on peer 06
  * same load on peer 07
  * more load on peer 08

All my test seem to show always very more load on the last peer in the
list. That why I protect with max-conn=100.

is the orginiserver loadbalancing, a well tested and official squid
behavior.

It seems in squid 2.6 a new feature arround the cache_peer directive,
which was about proxy slibing sharing...

The doc said:

# icp_port: Used for querying neighbor caches about
# objects. To have a non-ICP neighbor
# specify '7' for the ICP port and make sure the
# neighbor machine has the UDP echo port
# enabled in its /etc/inetd.conf file.

Here I've copied form the wiki I use 0, is it the same?
I've no ICP parent, just origin server.

Any hint?

Sylvain.