[squid-users] Squid Automatic Proxy Authentication via LDAP

From: Anthony McGovern <amcgovern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:09:15 +0000

Hey All,

I'm a relatively new to Linux and squid. I've only really been using
both for about 2 and a half months now. Apologies as I'm sure this has
probably been asked before.

I have an ubuntu server (6.06) with apache 2.2.6 compiled, and running
on the box. I also have squid 2.6, complied and running fine. a few days
ago thanks to browsing many many forms I've also figured out how to get
my squid proxy server to authenticate Via LDAP so when a user opens a
web browser they have to type there LDAP Logon details to use the
Internet.

I've been asked by the powers that be, can we now make the proxy server
"invisible". what we want is when a user opens a web browser it will
still use their LDAP logon details to authentication but with no users
intervention at all.

IE. from the users perspective they open a web browser and they can
browse the web but in the background when they open the browser the
squid proxy server automatically authenticates them against their LDAP
details. The reason for this is i work in a college so we want to make
the proxy server as seamless and "invisible" as possible to all staff
and students. If they don't know the proxy server is there they wont try
to bypass it.

I've asked the "Internet guru" (google) to find me an answer and the
closest thing I've come up with was a website getting using perl scripts
to authenticate against LDAP but im sure the perl script was written for
novell. This is the website:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17777.html

But I haven't really come up with much sofar. I've also had a look on
the FAQ list and the mailing list archive for similar questions
regarding this but I couldn't find anything about it.

I'd be really really grateful for any help
Thanks a mill
Anthony