Re: [squid-users] Help on Refresh Pattern options

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:31:39 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hi there:
> I'm having some problems understanding how the refresh_pattern options
> works.
> The Squid guide says:
>

> FRESH if expires < now, else STALE
> STALE if age > max
> FRESH if lm-factor < percent, else STALE
> FRESH if age < min
> else STALE
>
> Min:
> time (in minutes), an object without an explicit expire time should be
> considered fresh.
>
> Percent:
> percentage of the objects age (time since last modification age) an
> object without explicit expire time will be considered fresh.
>
> Max:
> upper limit on how long objects without an explicit expiry time will
> be considered fresh.
>

> So, my question is this; if the object's age is between Min and Max,
> is it STALE or FRESH?

That logic says STALE (!<min ... choosing else).
IMHO, Max is there because max-age (given by server) CAN be less than min
(configured).

> And how does the Percent option exactly works?

Ok, an object without ANY other min/max/expires has an age since created
the server told squid (via Last-Modified: header).
The time between LM and when squid last received a clean copy is 100%, now
ADD X% to the age and that is the new max, 0% is the new min.

Amos