Re: [squid-users] How to setup squid as http proxy server

From: ying lcs <yinglcs@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:28:14 -0500

On 10/31/07, Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@wlink.com.np> wrote:
> Hi Ying,
>
> ying lcs wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am able to compile and get squid running on my ubuntu machine.
> >
> > However, when I see my proxy setting in my firefox:
> > Manual proxy configuration:
> > HTTP Proxy: 127.0.0.1 Port: 3128
> >
> > And when when I load 'www.google.com' in my firefox , I get this error page:
> > The proxy server is refusing connections
> > Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.
> >
> > * Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
> >
> > * Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
> > working.
> >

> Are you sure that you are running Squid on port 3128?

Yes, I am sure it is running on 3128. I check the squid access log, I
see the following:

1193801812.865 0 127.0.0.1 TCP_DENIED/403 1404 GET http://127.0.0.1/plain.t
xt - NONE/- text/html
1193801816.006 0 127.0.0.1 TCP_DENIED/403 1404 GET http://127.0.0.1/plain.t
xt - NONE/- text/html
1193805983.331 0 127.0.0.1 TCP_DENIED/400 1503 GET www.google.com - NONE/-
text/html
1193806012.286 0 127.0.0.1 TCP_DENIED/403 1394 GET http://www.google.com -
NONE/- text/html

> Or you need to add the following ACL
>
> acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
> http_access allow localhost
>
> Note: Remember to add it before the "http_access deny all" ACL

I have these as my ACL (I am just using the defaults in squid 2.6 16):
Can you please tell me why do I need to add '' acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32"?
And I tried 'http://www.google.com' (not just 127.0.0.1/plain.txt) and
it does not work either.

#Recommended minimum configuration:
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT

# TAG: http_access
# Allowing or Denying access based on defined access lists
#
# Access to the HTTP port:
# http_access allow|deny [!]aclname ...
#
# NOTE on default values:
#
# If there are no "access" lines present, the default is to deny
# the request.
#
# If none of the "access" lines cause a match, the default is the
# opposite of the last line in the list. If the last line was
# deny, the default is allow. Conversely, if the last line
# is allow, the default will be deny. For these reasons, it is a
# good idea to have an "deny all" or "allow all" entry at the end
# of your access lists to avoid potential confusion.
#
#Default:
# http_access deny all
#
#Recommended minimum configuration:
#
# Only allow cachemgr access from localhost
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
# Deny requests to unknown ports
http_access deny !Safe_ports
# Deny CONNECT to other than SSL ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
#
# We strongly recommend the following be uncommented to protect innocent
# web applications running on the proxy server who think the only
# one who can access services on "localhost" is a local user
#http_access deny to_localhost
#
# INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS

# Example rule allowing access from your local networks. Adapt
# to list your (internal) IP networks from where browsing should
# be allowed
#acl our_networks src 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24
#http_access allow our_networks

# And finally deny all other access to this proxy
http_access deny all