Re: [squid-users] Squid with Skype

From: <janco@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:39:16 +0200 (SAST)

Hi,

Iknow what I'm about to tell you might raise a couple of eye browse but I
had no choice in this matter.

What I did was keep port 80 open on the firewall to allow skype to do what
it wants becuase in this case the client was at a no nogotiation stgae
where skype was concerned so looking for an alternative was out of the
question.

Next I forced all client PC to use Squid as the proxy, got to love GPO,
where there are a couple of acls determining who can access the Internet
and who can't and it works.....it's not the right way of doing it I know
but under the circumstances there was no alternative, luckily the users
are quite stupid and they will not know how to change the proxy but if I
get that 1 user who has a little savy I'm going to have my hands full.

I tested the skype through trying to force it to go through a certain port
but had so many comebacks it wasn't funny so the above was the solution.

If anyone can give me an alternative to the above mentioned I would be
very greatful but keep in mind that looking for a skype alternative is not
an option because that is dictated to me.

With regards