[squid-users] Full domain block

From: Paul Cocker <paul.cocker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:35:38 -0000

Alas, it was all so perfectly planned. Grab some blacklists from Shalla
- http://www.shallalist.de/ - and hook the domain lists into squid using
dstdomain. Unfortunately, it seems squid's interpretation of domain
names is incredibly literal, so rather than youtube.com blocking
*.youtube.com, we in fact find that while youtube.com is blocked,
www.youtube.com is just hunky dory because nsquid literally is blocking
nothing but youtube.com.

Since I'm running squidNT I am in a position where getting squidguard to
run is a bit of a pain since I'll nened to get cygwin up and running and
then it all feels like a bit of a hack. Is squidguard my only route
here, or is there a way to tell squid to be rather more "expansive" in
its domain name interpretation? Ideally this is something I need to get
in place quickly.

Paul
IT Systems Admin

TNT Post is the trading name for TNT Post UK Ltd (company number: 04417047), TNT Post (Doordrop Media) Ltd (00613278), TNT Post Scotland Ltd (05695897),TNT Post North Ltd (05701709) and TNT Post South West Ltd (05983401). Emma's Diary and Lifecycle are trading names for Lifecycle Marketing (Mother and Baby) Ltd (02556692). All companies are registered in England and Wales; registered address: 1 Globeside Business Park, Fieldhouse Lane, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 1HY.