Re: [squid-users] RE: [SPAM?] Re: [squid-users] Optimal maximum cache size

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:18:42 -0900

Paul Cocker wrote:
> Which leads me onto two more questions:
>
> 1. How can I pull up information about the cache, such as the age of
> objects within it.

squidclient [-p port-squid-listens-on] cache_object://loccalhost/storedir

> 2. When allocating memory to squid, what sort of allowance should be
> given to leaving some free for OS file caching since I assume this is
> important on some level due to the disk caching...?

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory#head-09818ad4cb8a1dfea1f51688c41bdf4b79a69991

"As a rule of thumb on Squid uses approximately 10 MB of RAM per GB of
the total of all cache_dirs (more on 64 bit servers such as Alpha), plus
your cache_mem setting and about an additional 10-20MB. It is
recommended to have at least twice this amount of physical RAM available
on your Squid server."

> Paul Cocker

Chris