Re: [squid-users] Solaris/OpenSSL/MD5 Issues

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:17:22 -0700

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 23:18 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> > Further, I've tried to build 3.0RC1 with SunStudio12 but it
> complains about operator overloading when building Squid's 3.0 RC1
> like so:
> >
> > CC: Warning: Option -fhuge-objects passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
> > "HttpRequestMethod.h", line 138: Error: Overloading ambiguity between
> "operator!=(const HttpRequestMethod&, const _method_t&)" and "operator!=(int, int)".
> > 1 Error(s) detected.
> > *** Error code 1
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `cf_gen.o'
> > Current working directory /export/home/randy/Download/squid-3.0.RC1/src
>
> This second looks like a compiler issue.
> Somehow its not registering types properly in its symbol tables. It's
> confusing ptr with int, and even appears to be screwing the const
> correctness over (the error is for constptr-to-data, where the squid
> code contains ptr-to-constdata. Two very different types in C++).

This might be a Squid bug. I am not an expert on this, but I am not
surprised that GCC is confused by the halfway migration from method_t
enum to HttpRequestMethod class.

There are no pointers involved here. The global "!=" operator on line
138 provides comparison between a [reference to] HttpRequestMethod and a
method_t. There is also a constructor that can create an
HttpRequestMethod from a method_t. Method_t is an enum, so it is treated
like an int in many contexts.

Thus, when we write "5 != 6", GCC may not know whether he is supposed to
create an HttpRequestMethod from 5 and method_t from 6 to use the custom
operator or just go with the built-in operator for integer comparison.

Remove the global operator != at line 138 of HttpRequestMethod.h and
Squid may compile. It does in my test, but I did not have the above
problem to start with so YMMV. Please keep me posted as I would like to
commit this fix if it works for you.

Thank you,

Alex.