Re: [squid-users] WCCPv2 and HTTPS problems

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:00:30 +0900

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:

> Yes I know that Squid does not handle HTTPS requests which leads to
> another question. If HTTPS does not go through Squid, then does WCCP see
> them or how does WCCP handle them if at all?

You could create another service group and redirect port 443 to Squid;
you'd just need to implement a basic TCP tunnel + ACLs in Squid.

> We all know since the beginning when we started learning and using Squid
> that intercepting or transparent proxy servers will cause some problems
> down the way. In fact, all softwares will cause some problems. Maybe
> this is one of the problems.

:) transparent proxying has come a long way; its nowhere near as horrible
as it was a few years ago.

> In fact, I had been facing this Hotmail and Yahoo HTTPS problem with
> Squid-2.5 in the past. I can't remember exactly how I got it solved. On
> one occasion, routing solved the problem and in another case, a firewall
> modification solved the problem.
>
> Maybe the problem still exists now but somehow it has not caught my
> attention for which I am happy :)
>
> But sooner or later, I'm sure this problem will again pop up on my
> proxies too and users will be banging my phone! I guess somebody or one
> of us on this list has to do some really complete analysis and study
> using whatever tools is required to solve this problem once and for all.

Thats why I've started offering commercial Squid support.
http://www.xenion.com.au/squid/

Adrian