Re: [squid-users] Squid not responding

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:46:59 +1300

stephane lepain wrote:
> On Friday 09 November 2007 15:20:04 Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>> Hi Stephane,
>>
>> stephane lepain wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Squid did not respond when I restarted my PC. I don't have any error
>>> message in /etc/squid/squid.out. It seems that squid is not even
>>> registering. Since I don't have an error message, I can't sort this out.
>>> I also tried a restart, stop and start but nothing would do.
>>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and then ./squid restart.
>>> Anyone has any thought on this?
>> Which OS and Squid version are you running? What do you have for the
>> following directive in your squid.conf:
>>
>> cache_log
>>
>> If you had tried to restart Squid from /etc/rc.d/init.d and if Squid
>> failed to load, then Squid will report errors in cache.log unless you
>> have configured Squid not to generate a cache.log file!
>>

>> By the way, just in case, check your hard drive disk space usage.
>>
>> If nothing helps, check where the Squid binary is located from your
>> startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid.
>>
>> Go to the directory where the Squid binary is residing and run:
>>
>> ./squid -NCd1
>>

>> You will see the errors why your Squid is not starting or not responding
>> in the 1st place.
>>
>> Thanking you ...
>>
>>> Cheers to all of you
>

> Hi all,
>
> I now have got an error message saying "could not determine fully qualified
> host name. set visible host name" . I cant seem to get around this.
> I would appreciate a hand.
>
> Cheers to all

Publicly visible host needs a FQDN assigned and rDNS configured. All the
networking software on your host will be having problems with this.

Assuming you are on a unice;
  /etc/hostname should contains a FQDN

  OR in the rare event that you CANT do that;

  it must contain a valid host name (ie 'proxy') and /etc/resolv.conf
must contain a domain entry that combines to form a FQDN <host>.<domain>
with rDNS that resolves to an IP asigned to that machine.

As a hack-around just for squid there is the visible_hostname directive,
although this will go nowhere to fixing the DNS/rDNS problems at the
cause of the message.

Amos