Re: [squid-users] Active/Passive FTP connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:21:10 +0100

On tis, 2007-11-13 at 14:58 +0530, "Rahul Tidke" wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I need the parameter to allow all active and passive ftp connections to
> pass through the proxy server (SQUID 2.6 stable); which parameter needs to
> be set in squid configuration? I get following message in windows explorer
> when I try to ftp behind proxy:

Squid is an HTTP proxy, not an FTP proxy. When a web browser is
configured to use a proxy it uses HTTP to the proxy which then gateways
the request to FTP.

> The folder ftp: //ftpserver is read-only because the proxy server is not set
> up to allow full access. To move, paste, rename or delete files you must use
> a different proxy. For information of changing your proxy, contact your
> administrator.

This is microsofts way of saying that MSIE do not support FTP uploads
via HTTP proxies, and that you need to use a SOCKS proxy if you need
these functions..

btw, Squid do support FTP uploads if the client cares to try..

> If I use ftp clients like smart ftp I can login to ftp server but unable to
> open the data connections.

For real FTP clients needing to talk the FTP protocol you should use
either SOCKS or an FTP proxy.