Re: [squid-users] Purging time

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:06:18 +1300

Michael Jurisch wrote:
> Hi Squiders, :)
>
> just a short question: Are there any statements about how long it lasts to purge a file, I mean that it is guaranted that the file has removed from the cache? Is the purging time related to the size of the cache and/or the numbers of files hold in the cache? Are there any more factors that effect this time?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Micha

Don't quit understand 'statements'. Just about every cache on the planet
is configured differently. Some may not obey the web standards.

In general HTTP has a set of headers that control what the server wants
to have happen to its pages, and caches obey those, removing objects
when they are accessed and found in need of replacement ('stale').

Cache-Control:
   http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.9

Expires:
   http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.21